Valappad Village, with population of about 35 thousand is Chavakkad sub district's the most populous village, located in Chavakkad sub district of Thrissur district in the state Kerala in India. Total geographical area of Valappad village is 16 km2 and it is the biggest village by area in the sub district. Population density of the village is 2158 persons per km2.

Nearest town of the village is Chavakkad and distance from Valappad village to Chavakkad is 20 km. The village has its own post office and the pin code of Valappad village is 680567. The village comes under Valappad panchayat. Chavakkad is the sub district head quarter and the distance from the village is 26 km. District head quarter of the village is Thrissur which is 29 km away.

Demographics

The village is home to about 35 thousand people, among them about 16 thousand (46%) are male and about 19 thousand (54%) are female. 97% of the whole population are from general caste, 3% are from schedule caste and 0% are schedule tribes. Child (aged under 6 years) population of Valappad village is 10%, among them 54% are boys and 46% are girls. There are 8852 households in the village and an average 4 persons live in every family.

Caste wise male female population 2011 - Valappad

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 35,237 34,228 977 32 3,435
Male 16,208 15,711 479 18 1,848
Female 19,029 18,517 498 14 1,587

Growth of population

Population of the village has increased by 1.2% in last 10 years. In 2001 census total population here were about 35 thousand. Female population growth rate of the village is 3.3% which is 4.5% higher than male population growth rate of -1.2%. General caste population has increased by 17.4%; Schedule caste population has decreased by -82.8% and child population has decreased by -5.2% in the village since last census.

Growth of population (percent) 2001 to 2011 - Valappad

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 1 17 -83 0 -5
Male -1 15 -83 0 -1
Female 3 20 -83 0 -10

Sex Ratio - Females per 1000 Male

As of 2011 census there are 1174 females per 1000 male in the village. Sex ratio in general caste is 1179, in schedule caste is 1040 and in schedule tribe is 778. There are 859 girls under 6 years of age per 1000 boys of the same age in the village. Overall sex ratio in the village has increased by 51 females per 1000 male during the years from 2001 to 2011. Child sex ratio here has decreased by 82 girls per 1000 boys during the same time.

Change in sex ratio 2001 to 2011 - Valappad

Total General SC ST Child
Change 51 44 -27 778 -82
2011 1,174 1,179 1,040 778 859
2001 1,123 1,135 1,067 0 941

Literacy

Total about 31 thousand people in the village are literate, among them about 14 thousand are male and about 17 thousand are female. Literacy rate (children under 6 are excluded) of Valappad is 96%. 97% of male and 95% of female population are literate here. Overall literacy rate in the village has increased by 2%. Male literacy has gone down by 1% and female literacy rate has gone up by 3%.

Change in literacy rate 2001 to 2011 - Valappad

Total Male Female
Change 2 1 3
2011 96 97 95
2001 94 96 92

Workers profile

Valappad has 31% (about 11 thousand) population engaged in either main or marginal works. 48% male and 16% female population are working population. 43% of total male population are main (full time) workers and 5% are marginal (part time) workers. For women 11% of total female population are main and 6% are marginal workers.

Percentage of working population - Valappad

Worker (Among total population) Main Worker (Among workers) Marginal Worker (Among workers) Non Worker (Among total population)
Total 31 26 6 69
Male 48 43 5 52
Female 16 11 6 84