Kastal Village, with population of 728 is Ghansali sub district's the 38th most populous village, located in Ghansali sub district of Tehri Garhwal district in the state Uttarakhand in India. Total geographical area of Kastal village is 1 km2 and it is the 94th biggest village by area in the sub district. Population density of the village is 751 persons per km2.

Nearest town of the village is Tehri and distance from Kastal village to Tehri is 90 km. Pin code of Kastal village is 249181. The village comes under Kastal panchayat. Ghansali is the sub district head quarter and the distance from the village is 30 km. District head quarter of the village is New Tehri which is 90 km away.

Demographics

The village is home to 728 people, among them 327 (45%) are male and 401 (55%) are female. 80% of the whole population are from general caste, 20% are from schedule caste. Child (aged under 6 years) population of Kastal village is 18%, among them 58% are boys and 42% are girls. There are 143 households in the village and an average 5 persons live in every family.

Caste wise male female population 2011 - Kastal

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 728 581 147 0 132
Male 327 262 65 0 76
Female 401 319 82 0 56

Growth of population

Population of the village has increased by 5.8% in last 10 years. In 2001 census total population here were 688. Female population growth rate of the village is 2.3% which is -8.2% lower than male population growth rate of 10.5%. General caste population has increased by 2.7%; Schedule caste population has increased by 20.5% and child population has increased by 9.1% in the village since last census.

Growth of population (percent) 2001 to 2011 - Kastal

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 6 3 21 0 9
Male 11 10 14 0 31
Female 2 -2 26 0 -11

Sex Ratio - Females per 1000 Male

As of 2011 census there are 1226 females per 1000 male in the village. Sex ratio in general caste is 1218, in schedule caste is 1262. There are 737 girls under 6 years of age per 1000 boys of the same age in the village. Overall sex ratio in the village has decreased by 98 females per 1000 male during the years from 2001 to 2011. Child sex ratio here has decreased by 349 girls per 1000 boys during the same time.

Change in sex ratio 2001 to 2011 - Kastal

Total General SC ST Child
Change -98 -150 122 0 -349
2011 1,226 1,218 1,262 0 737
2001 1,324 1,368 1,140 0 1,086

Literacy

Total 347 people in the village are literate, among them 190 are male and 157 are female. Literacy rate (children under 6 are excluded) of Kastal is 58%. 76% of male and 46% of female population are literate here. Overall literacy rate in the village has increased by 5%. Male literacy has gone up by 2% and female literacy rate has gone up by 9%.

Change in literacy rate 2001 to 2011 - Kastal

Total Male Female
Change 6 2 8
2011 58 76 46
2001 53 74 37

Workers profile

Kastal has 50% (364) population engaged in either main or marginal works. 44% male and 55% female population are working population. 13% of total male population are main (full time) workers and 31% are marginal (part time) workers. For women 12% of total female population are main and 43% are marginal workers.

Percentage of working population - Kastal

Worker Main Worker Marginal Worker Non Worker
Total 50 13 38 50
Male 44 14 31 56
Female 55 12 43 45