Karwar City Municipal Council, with population of about 64 thousand is Karwar sub district's only city municipal council located in Karwar sub district of Uttara Kannada district in the state Karnataka in India. Total geographical area of Karwar city municipal council is 37 km2. Population density of the city is 1725 persons per km2. There are 32 wards in the city, among them Chitakula (og) Ward No 32 (rural Mdds Code:602629) is the most populous ward with population of about 13 thousand and Karwar Ward No 29 is the least populous ward with population of 814.

Nearest railway station is Shirwad which is 7 km far from here. Karwar is the sub district head quarter of the city. District head quarter of the city is Karwar. Bangalore is the state head quarter of the city and is 519 km far from here. Yearly average rainfall of the city is 3228 mm. Maximum temperature here reaches up to 38°C and minimum temperature goes down to 25°C.

Demographics

The city is home to about 64 thousand people, among them about 32 thousand (51%) are male and about 32 thousand (49%) are female. 93% of the whole population are from general caste, 6% are from schedule caste and 1% are schedule tribes. Child (aged under 6 years) population of Karwar city municipal council is 9%, among them 52% are boys and 48% are girls. There are about 16 thousand households in the city and an average 4 persons live in every family.

Caste wise male female population 2011 - Karwar

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 63,755 59,474 3,663 618 5,753
Male 32,207 30,033 1,846 328 2,994
Female 31,548 29,441 1,817 290 2,759

Growth of population

Population of the city has increased by 1.2% in last 10 years. In 2001 census total population here were about 63 thousand. Female population growth rate of the city is 3.8% which is 5% higher than male population growth rate of -1.2%. General caste population has decreased by 0%; Schedule caste population has increased by 36%; Schedule Tribe population has decreased by -23.3% and child population has decreased by -11.8% in the city since last census.

Growth of population (percent) 2001 to 2011 - Karwar

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 1.2% 0% 36% -23.3% -11.8%
Male -1.2% -2.3% 29.8% -22.8% -11.9%
Female 3.8% 2.5% 42.8% -23.9% -11.7%

Sex Ratio - Females per 1000 Male

As of 2011 census there are 980 females per 1000 male in the city. Sex ratio in general caste is 980, in schedule caste is 984 and in schedule tribe is 884. There are 922 girls under 6 years of age per 1000 boys of the same age in the city. Overall sex ratio in the city has increased by 48 females per 1000 male during the years from 2001 to 2011. Child sex ratio here has increased by 3 girls per 1000 boys during the same time.

Change in sex ratio 2001 to 2011 - Karwar

Total General SC ST Child
Change 48 45 89 -12 3
2011 980 980 984 884 922
2001 932 935 895 896 919

Literacy

Total about 54 thousand people in the city are literate, among them about 28 thousand are male and about 26 thousand are female. Literacy rate (children under 6 are excluded) of Karwar is 93%. 96% of male and 90% of female population are literate here. Overall literacy rate in the city has increased by 4%. Male literacy has gone up by 2% and female literacy rate has gone up by 7%.

Change in literacy rate 2001 to 2011 - Karwar

Total Male Female
Change 4.4% 2.6% 6.6%
2011 93.2% 96.5% 89.9%
2001 88.8% 93.9% 83.3%

Workers profile

Karwar has 36% (about 23 thousand) population engaged in either main or marginal works. 56% male and 15% female population are working population. 50% of total male population are main (full time) workers and 7% are marginal (part time) workers. For women 13% of total female population are main and 2% are marginal workers.

Percentage of working population - Karwar

Worker (Among total population) Main Worker (Among workers) Marginal Worker (Among workers) Non Worker (Among total population)
Total 35.9% 31.3% 4.6% 64.1%
Male 56.4% 49.6% 6.8% 43.6%
Female 15% 12.6% 2.4% 85%