Kolkata Ward No 02, with population of about 48 thousand is Kolkata city's the 15th most populous ward, located in Kolkata district of the state West Bengal in India.

Demographics

The ward is home to about 48 thousand people, among them about 24 thousand (51%) are male and about 24 thousand (49%) are female. 96% of the whole population are from general caste, 4% are from schedule caste and 0% are schedule tribes. Child (aged under 6 years) population of Kolkata Ward No 02 is 5%, among them 52% are boys and 48% are girls. There are about 11 thousand households in the ward and an average 4 persons live in every family.

Caste wise male female population 2011 - Kolkata Ward No 02

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 48,190 46,271 1,814 105 2,575
Male 24,381 23,409 919 53 1,331
Female 23,809 22,862 895 52 1,244

Growth of population

Population of the ward has increased by 1.8% in last 10 years. In 2001 census total population here were about 47 thousand. Female population growth rate of the ward is 5.8% which is 7.6% higher than male population growth rate of -1.8%. General caste population has increased by 1.4%; Schedule caste population has increased by 15%; Schedule Tribe population has decreased by -7.1% and child population has decreased by -18.3% in the ward since last census.

Growth of population (percent) 2001 to 2011 - Kolkata Ward No 02

Total General Schedule Caste Schedule Tribe Child
Total 1.8% 1.4% 15% -7.1% -18.3%
Male -1.8% -2.2% 8.4% 0% -17.2%
Female 5.8% 5.3% 22.8% -13.3% -19.5%

Sex Ratio - Females per 1000 Male

As of 2011 census there are 977 females per 1000 male in the ward. Sex ratio in general caste is 977, in schedule caste is 974 and in schedule tribe is 981. There are 935 girls under 6 years of age per 1000 boys of the same age in the ward. Overall sex ratio in the ward has increased by 71 females per 1000 male during the years from 2001 to 2011. Child sex ratio here has decreased by 26 girls per 1000 boys during the same time.

Change in sex ratio 2001 to 2011 - Kolkata Ward No 02

Total General SC ST Child
Change 71 70 114 -151 -26
2011 977 977 974 981 935
2001 906 907 860 1132 961

Literacy

Total about 43 thousand people in the ward are literate, among them about 22 thousand are male and about 21 thousand are female. Literacy rate (children under 6 are excluded) of Kolkata WARD NO.-0002 is 94%. 96% of male and 92% of female population are literate here. Overall literacy rate in the ward has increased by 2%. Male literacy has gone down by 1% and female literacy rate has gone up by 4%.

Change in literacy rate 2001 to 2011 - Kolkata Ward No 02

Total Male Female
Change 2.5% 1.1% 4.3%
2011 94.2% 96.1% 92.3%
2001 91.7% 95% 88%

Workers profile

Kolkata WARD NO.-0002 has 37% (about 18 thousand) population engaged in either main or marginal works. 55% male and 19% female population are working population. 49% of total male population are main (full time) workers and 6% are marginal (part time) workers. For women 13% of total female population are main and 6% are marginal workers.

Percentage of working population - Kolkata Ward No 02

Worker (Among total population) Main Worker (Among workers) Marginal Worker (Among workers) Non Worker (Among total population)
Total 37% 31.1% 5.9% 63%
Male 54.6% 48.5% 6.1% 45.4%
Female 19.1% 13.3% 5.7% 80.9%